A group of outstanding young Western Australians were honoured at the WA Youth Awards on 12 October 2017.
Among them was Matthew Bill, 22, from Swan View, who was named WA Young Person of the Year.
An outreach worker in the Shire of Mundaring, Matthew was recognised for his work with local families to encourage positive engagement in their children's lives. He works directly with school students in his community, particularly those at risk of disengagement. He was also named winner in the Community Leadership category of the awards.
The WA Youth Awards showcase the achievements and contributions of young Western Australians aged 12 to 25, as well as organisations that work with and support WA youth.
Other WA Youth Award winners included:
- Vincent Pettinicchio, Commissioner for Children and Young People Participate Award;
- Lily Purser and Alyssa Wong, RAC Innovation for a Sustainable Future Award;
- Georgia Foulkes-Taylor, Cultural Endeavours Award;
- Lynn Crasto, Minister for Youth's Most Outstanding Youth Worker Award;
- Curtin AHEAD Program, Organisational Achievement Award (Large);
- Millennium Kids, Organisational Achievement Award (Small);
- Habiba Asim, Positive Achievement Award; and
- Letitia Busniak, Geraldton Newspapers, Charmaine Dragun Memorial Award, for Leading ladies - savvy entrepreneurs making mark
The awards are delivered through a partnership between the Department of Communities and Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia (YACWA), and are supported by Lotterywest.