A 67-year-old actress and director has been named as WA's new Juniper Seniors Champion.
Jenny Davis, from Mt Hawthorn, received the commendation at the WA Seniors Awards yesterday in recognition of her ongoing work with Agelink Theatre, which she established in 1993. The organisation provides intergenerational and interactive theatre productions based on the oral histories and recollections of seniors.
Her innovative work combining the arts and supporting seniors over two decades impressed the judges.
Agelink Theatre provides seniors with a way of sharing their lives, stories and memories. The organisation ensures that seniors, as valued members of WA's communities, aren't overlooked or forgotten, enabling them to contribute in a meaningful way.
The WA Seniors Awards are presented by the Council on the Ageing WA in partnership with the Department of Local Government and Communities.
The other category winners were:
- Community Award - Mariette Cowley
- Arts and Culture Award - Jenny Davis
- Business Award - Garden City AMP (Capital Shopping Centres), Booragoon
- Group or Organisation Award - Grandparents Rearing Grandchildren
- Local Government Award - City of Wanneroo
- Deborah Kirwan Media Award - Claire Tyrell and Nic Ellis (The West Australian).
Full profiles of all of the finalists and winners are available here, plus information on Seniors Week activities across WA.